As promised, I am finally putting up the Chicken and Dumplings recipe! Takes a bit of time so I recommend making it a day ahead and sticking in the refrigerator.
- Olive oil, canola oil, or coconut oil (I prefer the latter)
- 2 White onions
- 6 large celery stalks with tops
- Seasonings (see below)
- 6 large chicken breast
- 4-6 chicken legs
- 6-8 frozen Southern Style biscuits (guess you could sub in something healthier, but why?)
Bring to boil
- 10 cups of water
- 1 whole white onion
- 5-7 celery tops (stems and leaves) whole
- 1 Tbs Cavender’s seasoning
- 1 Tbs Poultry seasoning
- 2 Tbs of salt (more or less to taste
- Let simmer 10-15 minutes to flavor.
- Add Chicken.
- Bring to boil-cover and reduce heat.
- Let simmer for 45 minutes or until done.
- Remove chicken from broth and let cool.
- Remove onion and celery tops and discard.
While chicken is cooling…..
- Chop 1 large onion-white or vidalia
- 5-6 celery stalks
- Saute in a little coconut oil until soft
- Add to chicken broth.
- Season broth to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to boil, cover and reduce to simmer.
- De-bone cooled chicken and add as much as you want to broth.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer 3-45 minutes.
- 20 minutes before dinner, cut up frozen biscuits (1 biscuit= 6 dumplings).
- Bring soup to a low boil and drop dumplings over top. Spoon broth over dumplings to flavor them. Cook on simmer for 10-15 minutes
Perfect for the cold or rainy evening. So check your forecast and plan ahead!!!
(special thanks to my momma for this recipe…you would have loved her!)