Seriously, this is so near and dear to my heart. And I hope it is to yours, as well.
Childhood obesity—yikes. It’s an epidemic.
Just a few facts:
- It has tripled over the last 30 years.
- In 2008, more than 1/3 of children were considered obese. Can you imagine how much it is now?
- Obesity is not just mean, it’s dangerous. Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Cardiovascular Disease.
- Yikes…see this link for more facts: CDC
So, what’s the answer? Stick your kids on a treadmill? No! Let’s think of FUN ways to get the Whole Family up and moving–TOGETHER!
- Hiking, Walking, and being outside–probably the most common forms of “exercise” you can think of.
- Swimming–what about heading to your local indoor pool. Family game time meets the water.
- Backyard: When was the last time you got a fierce game of kickball going? Got a basketball hoop? My son loves the game PIG..google it.
- Frisbee, Soccer, and Races in the back yard ..team girls vs boys.
- Walking to a park…now this applies if you live near one . Have your kids bike and mom/dad walk or jog along side. And when you get there, don’t just sit on a bench. Push the swings. Have you tried Monkey Bars lately–they are HARD!
- Thought about running a race? So many 5 and 10Ks have a kids race before the adults get started. What an awesome way for the family to all achieve success.
- Make an obstacle course in the back yard. Have fun racing through and around it together.
- What are some fun adventures in your own town. B does such a good job of exploring with the kiddos. Old submarines, the SeaCoast Science Center, and lighthouses have already been found!
- When was the last time you went bowling? Doesn’t seem like exercise, but it gets you up and moving. Plus many bowling alleys have 99 cent games.
- Want to go the gym? Get in a quick workout while your kids play in the child care. Then grab your kids and head to the basketball court for kids vs parents.
- Roller Skating
- Ice Skating
- Zumba special events..you knew I was going to put that out there. Some studios will offer Mom and Me Zumba classes—dance the hour away!
- Speaking of dance..dance party in your home! Turn off the TV and turn ON the music. Party Rockers in the house…..
- Need an aftercare program? Check out Zumbatomic (yes for both boys and girls).
- Gymnastics, Ballet, or any sport: Baseball, Swim, Football…you get the idea.
- Having a friend over? Sure electronics are fun, but send them outside for Vitamin D and a game.
- Send your kids outside. Little b will spend an hour playing fetch and chase with our dogs…it’s the little things!